At MBC we’re dedicated to making a positive impact in our communities by helping individuals and families in need. We do this through our commitment to help support charities that make a huge impact in the lives of many throughout our Michigan communities. One of the ways we raise money is with Friday Casual Days. Every month MBC employees have the opportunity to pay monies for the privilege of wearing blue jeans or other casual attire on Fridays.
Our spotlight charity for April is Fleece and Thank-you
The mission of Fleece and Thank-you is to provide donors the unique opportunity to give comfort and hope to children by creating a fleece blanket and a personalized video message. The healing connection we foster by linking blanket makers to children with illnesses allows us to cheer them on at the starting line of their treatment journey. Children thrive on love and acceptance. The videos that come from every blanket maker are comforting and inspiring to the child as they realize they are not in this alone; there are people on the outside of the hospital walls who care about their fight.
We work with members of the community to make blankets and video messages, and then we deliver that comfort to the hospital. Our goal is a simple one: every child in every hospital bed receiving much-needed hope in the form of a colorful, fleece blanket at the start of treatment. We believe every warrior deserves armor for their battle, and we will continue this work until we guarantee that for every child entering the hospital for inpatient treatments.
- 100% of the proceeds of the blanket kit go toward delivering an amazing experience to a child at the beginning of their treatment. These are the central source of funding for our mission. Where a fabric store sells you just the fleece, our kits are an all-inclusive donation that gets the blanket from the maker’s hands to a hospital bed with a video message for the warrior receiving it.
- Our blanket kits provide a friend in a time of need. Every blanket has a special patch that carries the video message from the maker. This is a comforting face in a scary time for the child in the hospital, and providing this connection is a huge reason why we do what we do.
- Our kits are made in our warehouse by a group of young adults and adults with disabilities. It is our goal to employ them full-time soon, and the purchase of our kits supports that secondary mission.
- With hospital partnerships across the state, we deliver your blanket to the next children’s unit in MI with warriors that need your comfort.
- Our blanket kits help fight cancer! 2% of blanket kit donation supports pediatric cancer research through one of our cancer research partners. Our current partner is St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.